Curl Friends, Not Fiends
Curly girls, learn to love your natural kinks and curls with these top styling tips from Paul Mitchell®.
Summer is the perfect time to embrace your natural texture, so put down the dryer and and the straightners, and get kinky, curly, crazy with us!
As one naturally curly haired girl to another, it has taken me a long time to feel the love for the crazy curls I have. As anyone with naturally curly hair will know, curls differ from person to person depending on the natural texture of your hair.
We've compiled some top style tips for the most common types of curl friends to help you fight the frizz and fall in love again.
The perfect prep:
- Use a gentle shampoo and hydrating conditioner for easy detangling such as Spring Loaded® Frizz-Fighting Shampoo and Conditioner to help tackle tangles and fight the frizz from the start.
- Comb out tangles with a Detangler Comb while the conditioner is still in your hair.
- Rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle and lock in shine.
- Gently squeeze the moisture from your hair using a soft towel. Do not rub—this causes frizz.
Now find your natural curl pattern and style with these pro tips:
Goal: Minimize frizz and add moisture, moisture, moisture!
- Apply Full Circle Leave-In Treatment® for added hydration and to give the curls a little weight. Start at the ends and work your way up.
- Create four large sections and clip away. Apply Twirl Around® to wet hair section by section to fight frizz and define curls. Make sure all the hair is saturated.
- Refine curls by twisting individual pieces around your fingers, especially around the face.
- Let hair air dry for best results. If you need to blow-dry, be sure to use a diffuser.
- No touching! Manhandling your hair, even just a little, causes frizz.
- If you want to refine natural curls with a curling iron, try the Neuro® Unclipped 0.75" Styling Cone, twisting hair around iron.
Goal: Tame volume, maintain definition and amplify shine.
- Apply Full Circle Leave-In Treatment® from mid-shaft to ends, where hair tends to be driest.
- Choose a product that delivers hydration, definition and hold, like Twirl Around® cream gel. Section hair into four large sections and clip away. Apply product section by section, smoothing it through from roots to ends.
- To keep curls intact, sleep with hair in a big loose bun on top of the head.
- To refresh the following day, smooth a tiny drop of Gloss Drops® into palms. Flip your head over and smooth hands over hair starting underneath. Flip head upright again and gently let hair fall into place.
- If you want to refine natural curls with a curling iron, try the Neuro® Unclipped Styling Cone, twisting hair around the iron.
Goal: Enhance the natural curl pattern and banish frizz.
- Shake wet hair to unlock the wave pattern and gently comb through with your fingers.
- Apply a lightweight curl-enhancing product from roots to ends. For piecey texture with lots of definition, try Ultimate Wave®. For soft, romantic waves, try Sculpting Foam™. Scrunch up the ends and twirl small pieces around your fingers to create more texture.
- To enhance the curl even further, blow-dry using a diffuser.
- Use a tiny amount of Gloss Drops® at the ends to twist and define individual tendrils.
- If you want to refine with a curling iron, try the Express Ion Curl® wrapping hair around the iron to create loose waves.
Turn your curl fiends into curl friends with the Paul Mitchell® curls system, and fall in love with your hair all over again.
Amy is Paul Mitchell’s PR & Social Media Manager and our go-to gal for all things creative in PR, including social media, editorial photoshoots, copywriting and more.